In the last few years, I have been forced to watched a few episodes of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. I know that many millennial women and men are drawn to this type “reality” show, but I’m one for stories and comedy rather than watching the konversations of pretty idiots. I know, I know, they are savvy business people and that they’ve made a lot of money. But you don’t need to be a genius or even smart to make a lot of money. We have seen this first hand with UFC fighters, Donald Trump and Martin Shkreli.
The Kardashians are a breed of celebrity who are famous only for being famous. Do they have talents? Not that I’ve seen. Unless talking crassly about sex is a talent. At one point Kim tried to have a singing career but there’s only so much auto-tune and butt shots can do (please google this:“Jam (Turn It Up)” in 2011. And if these people were just a form of entertainment, I’d be OK with them and their celebrity. However the problem lies in the fact that young people idolize them. They buy into the marketing mumbo jumbo and eat up everything that they do. The worst is that there’s a generation of young woman who talk like the Kardashians, with that throaty strange tune to their voice. How did Vocal Fry happen?
My biggest problem is that I can’t help but read news articles about them. Mostly because each time I read an article I’m blown away about the fact that people like that actually are real. Like actually real. For example, last week BuzzFeed released an article about 47 Surprising Things You Didn’t Know About Kim Kardashian. I read the entire thing. I couldn’t help myself. At the end of the article, I didn’t despise like I thought I would. What’s that all about? Instead, I felt bad for her. Here’s a snippet from their article and why I now feel sorry for dear Kim and her sisters:
13. During the early stages of their relationship, Kanye West cleared out Kim’s entire closet and replaced her clothes with items he approved of. – ARE YOU KIDDING ME? If some man thought he had the right to decide what I could and couldn’t wear I would RUN as far away from him as possible. What else would he control? This is freaking bonkers.
33. Her hair and makeup takes an hour and a half every day. AND 34. But for big events like the Met Ball, it can take three or four hours. – So say she goes to one big event a month, this means she spends nearly 600 hours doing her hair and make up each year. That’s 24 freaking days. She spends nearly a month getting ready. Again, are you kidding me?
42. After North’s birth, she and Kanye sent photos of a different baby to their friends to see who would try and sell them to the media. Sure enough, some of them did. – That’s the saddest thing I have ever heard. Nice friends.
15. During her pregnancy with North she bought multiple strollers because she wanted to ensure that one matched the baby’s skin tone. – If you could see me, I”m shaking my head right now.
3. When she’s on vacation, she only goes to the beach at certain times in the day when the light is flattering and her cellulite can’t be seen. – Seriously? This woman needs a lesson in self love. Constantly posing is not living. She’s like a modern day Geisha who’s there only for visual pleasure.
37. She uses a large Hermes Birkin handbag as her diaper bag. These bags range in price from $12,000 to $200,000. – Does she ever give back to the world? How can you rationalize such a purchase when there’s 15 Million hungry children in the United States alone.
Needless to say, I’m less angered by her and instead, I pity her. Her life seems to be so shallow and driven by the wrong things. Superficial beauty and materialistic things in the end have no real value. The $200,000 Birken diaper bag will be meaningless because it has no soul. So I hope that Kim and her family have more depth to them than they project. And I hope that they have true and kind relationships, however, with exes like Scott Disick and a mother like theirs, I’m not sure if they have any hope.
The #10 parenting tip? See below: