I’d like to congratulate all people who follow the Gregorian calendar because guys, we did it! We made it another year! For those who have their New Year at different times of the year, I’ll congratulate you then.
It’s always at this point of the year when Gym’s up their media spend, as well as weight loss clinics, because as we all know that we all got super fat over the holidays so it’s time to put pressure on ourselves to get ready for BEACH SEASON. Sadly, though, I’ve never been ready for beach season, so I’m not sure those ads work on me. And, for those who do make fitness resolutions, don’t get down on yourself for not getting out of your PJ’s yesterday. January 1st isn’t actually a real day. It doesn’t count. What’s that all about? On Jan 1, sleeping for the majority of the day and only getting out of bed to answer the door for the Chinese food delivery man is 100% acceptable and don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise.
But now that it’s the 2nd, it’s time to start really thinking about what you want out of the next year. The person you want to be and the things you no longer want to have in your life. And, even though it’s really just another regular old day, due to the mental refresh attained from screaming at midnight on the first and kissing all of the people around you (literally everyone in the room), you now are able to clear the cobwebs of the past year, and attempt to start a fresh new outlook. Isn’t it great?!
That said, it’s also a time to be realistic, because you don’t want to be down on yourself at the end of January and February. We all know that February, while technically the shortest month of the year, is also the month that never ends. It’s like that stupid song that damn lamb used to sing. So the last thing you want to be is disappointed in yourself in the longest-coldest-crappiest month of the year. Please know that three of the people I love the most are born in February and I don’t think their birthdays are crappy. I think their birthdays are awesome. But still, February is cold, dark, cold, did I say cold?
With that, here are some realistic resolutions that I’m going to attempt and maybe some of them could work for you:
- I’m going to stop being angry. There’s no need for anger. My life is pretty great!
- I’m going to make use of my Vitamix. Smoothies make the world go’round.
- I’m never going to stay in a job that makes me miserable ever ever ever ever ever again. Luckily, I’m already in one that makes me happy.
- I’m going to read more books. I used to read a lot of them. Now I barely read any. Insert sad face.
- I need to find something to do that benefits others. Whether I volunteer my time, or make regular donations. I need to contribute more to society.
- I’m going to be a better aunt. To my blood family and my friend family. I love being an aunt. I love my niece and nephew and I love my friends kids. I also love crawling on the floor pretending I’m a dinosaur and if I don’t see these kids now, they will grow out of it, and I won’t get to do that anymore without people thinking I’m strange. Well, more strange.
- I’m going to put more effort into my writing and my writing projects.
- I’m going to do at least one standup set this year. I think actually I’m going to do this in January. EEEEK. Time to start writing.
- I’m going to be a better partner.
- I’m going to do more around the house. (Two loads of laundry done just today. Oh man, this is going to be tough).
- I’m going to support my husband fulfill his dreams. He is amazing and can do whatever he sets his mind to.
- I’m going to get a puppy. Puppies make the world better and I’ve never had a puppy.
- I’m going to calm the f-down. Just in general. I’m so freaking tightly wound.
- I’m going to stay even more up-to-date on world events and the news. Being able to hold an intelligent conversation is only possible if you know what’s going on out there.
- I’m going to be more conscious of what I put into my body. Heathy choices most of the time. Let’s just say I’m not going to give up poutine. I’m just going to give up having it whenever I want it.
- I’m going to get my heart pumping more often and get of that damn super duper comfy couch of mine. But my god is that going to be tough. This couch is spectacular.
- I’m going to wear soft things more often. Soft things are the best. This means that I’m going to wear my big fleece, hooded robe more often. Not so sure Mr. Opposite will like this as much as I do.
- I’m not going to punish myself for indulgences. Just going to roll with it and move on.
- I think I should learn how to meditate.
- Regular stretching. Oh hello toes. Remember me?
- I think it’s time to get rid of some clothes.
- I’m going to champion my friends.
- Sing more. Dance more. Love more.
- More cooking. Less restaurants.
- I’m actually going to take my vitamins as directed. (Writing this prompted me to go take my morning vitamin. See, it’s already working.)
- I’m not going to panic anymore. Panic-mode is a terrible way to live.
- I’m going to be a better friend. More calls. More visits. More JENNY TIME! (This is the time when my friends start to screen my calls).
I think that’s it for this year, and maybe the next five years. If I stick to these (luckily they are things I should do anyway) I think my life is going to be the best possible life I could have. And that sounds wonderful.