For those of you who don’t know, I’m going to be a wife soon and I’m so excited to take on this new role in my life. Can you believe it? Mr. Opposite popped the big one. I realize that this isn’t the 40’s and I don’t have to quit my teaching job because I’m no longer a single spinster. But, there are so many things that will change. First of all, we’ll stop having sex and we’ll both put on an 50 extra lbs. It will be so romantic. Just kidding. What’s that all about?
Well, for one, I have decided to take his name. As of October 17th, 2015, I will no longer be Jen Woodall, I will become Mrs. Jen Opposite. And I couldn’t be more pumped for my new superpower, I mean name. I know that I’m a reluctant feminist (reluctant because I think that it’s complete bullshit that expecting equal rights for everyone is an ism) and that a lot of women and a lot of feminists don’t take their partners name, but this choice is 100% a personal choice. For some it makes sense to keep their name because of professional reasons, and for others it makes sense just cause it makes sense. Any decision you make about this choice is the right one, because it’s yours. And that’s pretty magical.
Anyway, here are some of the reasons I can’t wait to change my name:
- The things our friends will get to say, “The Opposites are coming over tonight,””Damn those Opposites, they are always so late,” and “Yup, the Opposites are bickering again!” Won’t it be great?
- Mrs. Jenny Opposite – sounds good doesn’t it
- Instead of having two last names on things, we can just have Mr. and Jen Opposite
- When our potential future kids get in trouble at school and I call, instead of saying it’s Jen Woodall, Darling Opposite’s mom, I can just say, “This is Jen Opposite calling” and they’ll know
- Learning a new signature. My current one sucks, so now I can reinvent myself. I’m not sure if I want to add a heart, star, or just squiggles. The world is my signature oyster
As you can see, there are so many great reasons for me to change my name! Really, no matter what anyone does when it comes to this subject it’s the right thing. It’s really a win win situation.
Jen (soon to be Opposite) Woodall