Well folks, it’s been quite the year. From T-Swift killing it and to Bieber getting arrested, this year has been full of ups and ups and some downs. And from watching many of my friends fall in love, get married, have babies, start new businesses, move, become super successful and all around awesome, this year has been a year of years.
So with that, below is a list of the top things that happened to me or to the world, was learned or was just plain awesome:
1) Tide came out (get it) with a commercial featuring a gay couple and it made me love the brand even more! Love is love people. Love is love.
2) I did standup. I freaking did it and I was actually funny! Not kidding. And I met some of the funniest up and coming comedians that Toronto has to offer – who I hope to keep in touch with forever. And, by doing standup, I now feel like I can do anything. Since then, I’ve MC’d a wedding with no hint of nerves, and got up in front of my entire agency (120ish people) and belted out Journey’s Don’t Stop Believing.
3) Taylor Swift came out swinging. I never really liked T-Swift before. I always thought I was too old for her. But as she came of age, her music came of awesome. It’s nice to see a self-respecting pop star out there.
4) I held my niece for the first time, and got to know my t-rex nephew. These kids are freaking amazing.They are giant weirdos full of questions and love. They are perfect. Almost made me want one. Not quite, but almost.
5) I interviewed Carol Leifer from Seinfeld. From freaking Seinfeld people. She’s a true inspiration for people looking to succeed. She wrote a book about business and how to survive without crying. That said, sometimes crying happens, but you don’t have to let it hold you back. Own those tears. Anyway, you all should own her book as it will make you want to work harder for your dreams while laughing.
6) Reasons Mommy Drinks and I were interviewed on the radio. And it was a blast. I think I want to have a radio show now. I feel very blessed that I get to be friends and colleagues with Lyranda Martin Evans. She’s a big deal working her way on becoming a bigger deal. You all should also buy her book, especially if you or someone you know is a new mom.
7) I learned to put what I want in writing, so that I can make a plan and see it through. Writing it down makes it real. And I learned that I’ve got nothing to lose if I go for it, and only regret to gain if I don’t.
8) Cheerios featured a biracial couple in their ad and it was adorable.
10) Amy Poehler wrote a book called Yes Please that is a memoir that is funny and doubles as self help book. I loved her before, but now I think I’m in love with her. Buy this one too.
11) Mr. Opposite popped the question in the most perfect way. We’re going to legalize this $hit.
12) Celebrity publicists would write me back after I wrote them. Mind you, most of them said no to an interview, but it was still cool and I’m not going to stop.
13) I re-fell in love with Mr. Opposite over and over and over again. It’s wonderful. Relationships aren’t always easy, but when they are right, they make your life better and they make you appreciate all you’ve been blessed with.
14) I formed a writing group for women who are sick of book club and want to create their own content. Instead of waiting to be invited to a writing room we created our own. And even though we haven’t started yet, as our first meeting is the last Wednesday in January, I wanted to put it in writing because as mentioned in number 7 if you put it in writing, you’re more likely to follow through.
Clearly this was the year of amazing books by amazing women. What’s that all about? Technically Lyranda’s book has been out for a while, whatevs, buy it this year and then it’s your 2014 parenting bible.
Right now, I’m really looking forward to 2015 and to all of the challenges and opportunities it’s going to present. Plus, I’m going to get married and look like a princess.
Here’s to 2015 and to making it count.