This past summer I decided that I needed to challenge myself. So, like any normal person, I enrolled in a course. Except the course I enrolled in was Standup at Second City Toronto, and at the end I had to do a performance at Absolute Comedy. Eeek.
In this course I learned many things but in particular:
- Getting on stage is borderline the scariest thing ever. Sure war, murder and rape are much scarier and all tied for first, heights are second, but this is a solid third place.
- In kindergarten I insisted on singing in front of my entire school, when I got on stage, I saw everyone and started crying. My principal had to carry me off stage. I haven’t lost this. I felt like I was on the verge of tears the entire time I was up there.
- WHAT A RUSH. Getting a room full of people to laugh feels awesome.
- The camera doesn’t add 10lbs. It adds 15lbs. At least…I hope. What’s that all about?
- I have great friends.
- I maybe have met some of Canada’s next great comedians, and that’s pretty rad.
So without further ado, below is the video to my standup debut. And, if I never do it again, I’ll know that I did do it once, and it was incredible. Absolutely incredible.