This past Friday, I was at a friends birthday sitting next to a lovely couple. When talking to the guy, somehow we got on to the conversation about females and comedy and he said to me ‘I usually don’t find women funny.’ Having heard this atrocious statement before, I laughed it off and continued the conversation. All the while thinking to myself, ‘this guy must be stupid.’
The next morning however, I couldn’t get this thought out of my head ‘I don’t find women funny’. What’s that all about? How can that be a thing? The worst part is that I have heard this said by so many males over the years. This line is so f-ing sexist, and yet, these men don’t believe that they are in fact actually sexist. I want to punch them all in the face. Often when I hear stupidity like this, I envision that my life is like Ally McBeal’s and a cartoon baby will come across the room and flick this man in the nuts. Women are hilarious. It’s a fact. I myself make people nearly pee themselves laughing, and I’m not even a classified funny person. Except if you’re asking me, because according to myself, I’m freaking hilarious. Is that bad? Can I say that? Women are supposed to be modest. Well you know what…modesty can suck-it. Just like Trebek. I’m funny and I know it.
What infuriates me the most is that in many cases when a man doesn’t find a woman’s joke funny, it’s because (I believe) a woman delivered the punch line. And if a man delivered the same joke, they would have found it hilarious. Please note that none of the last two sentences and observations were backed by science. That said, a joke is joke is it not? Is it because we have periods that the joke didn’t come off as funny? That’s it isn’t it? Because of our tampons. This is why so many women still write under gender neutral and/or pseudo names so that it levels the playing field (J. K. Rowling). Bullshit if you ask me. What I also don’t understand is how in 2014, this sentiment that ‘women aren’t funny’ is still a thing. Get used to it suckers, we’re not going to sit back and be polite objects that fold things anymore. We have opinions, we have value, we make jokes. And damn good ones!
The fact of the matter is that women are equally as funny as men. And, just as some men aren’t funny at all, some women aren’t funny either. That’s the way it goes. Some are and some aren’t. However, funny is something that isn’t gender biased, it’s humour biased.
Because of this, below is a list of some of the funniest people on the planet current:
- Tina Fey. Um hello. This woman made SNL funny again. 30 Rock was brilliant and can we say Mean Girls?
- Amy Poehler. From Parks and Rec to Baby Mama to SNL, to the Golden Globes, this golden beauty can do no wrong when it comes to jokes.
- Sarah Silverman. The content that comes out of this woman’s mouth is borderline offensive and 100% hilarious.
- Joan Rivers. She’s in her 80’s and can out joke anyone. She can also make Jimmy Fallon extremely uncomfortable.
- Chelsea Handler. She was a night time talk show host who held her own and more in a sea of white men.
- Ellen Degeneres. What’s not to love about this woman!
- Wanda Sykes. She is funny without even making a joke because of the tone of her voice. I love this woman.
- Whoopi Goldberg. A role-model who is more than funny. She’s epic.
- Kristen Wiig. No one does awkward quite like she does. I just love her.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus. I can’t believe I almost missed her. Animated and quirky and sexy all at once!
- Maya Rudolph. Kristen Wiig’s dream comedy companion. This woman is brilliant.
- Mindy Kaling. Pretty much everything that comes out of her mouth is comedic genius.
- Lori Isber. She’s my friend. She’s really funny.
As you can see that this list is just women. Word-class comedians that can hold their own amongst any man. There are obviously way more funny women out there. And there are obviously brilliant funny men out there: Seinfeld, Louis CK, Jimmy Fallon, and Alec Baldwin just to name a few. But, the point of this article is to say that women are in fact just as funny as men. And that to say you don’t find ‘women funny’ makes you look like a weenie, when in fact you might not be one. Perhaps you’re just kind of dumb. With this in mind, the next time some idiot utters the words ‘I don’t find women funny,’ punch him in the jaw and direct him to the internet.
FYI: Lucille Ball is a legend. A legit legend.