From my observations and experiences, there are 5 reasons women choose to put on their outfits. Whether it’s for a gala, work, a night out on the town, really, it all comes down to 5 main motives as to what we decide to pull out our closet that day.
Let’s face it ladies, fashion is not intended for the majority of men to understand. What’s that all about? Fashion essentially, is an art showcase, that may not make the most sense, however, it gives us a jolt of empowerment and excitement when we’re able to wear the ‘latest’ thing, and when other women notice that we’re wearing ‘it’. With that, I’ll share with you what I believe our our main motivators for each time we set foot into our closet:
- To feel sexy…errr, we wear clothes for male attention (feminists please start throwing your stones now). Typically these outfits are the ones that showcase our best assets. Whether it’s our taters, our legs, our fine booties, or our flat tummies, some days we wear things because we want to turn a few heads and turn men into drooling toddlers. What’s wrong with a little ego boost every now and again? Well…I won’t answer this, but I will state that some women take this approach to the absolute extreme and end up looking like call girls or strippers. For example:
- To feel trendy, we wear them for female attention. These are the days when we’ll wear some cute flowery dress, or an over the top statement ring, or some unshapely expensive box type dress that we saw on the runway; pretty much something someone from Sex and the City would wear. These outfits are for women because a) men look at them and thing ‘ugh, I don’t get it’ and b) fashion is art, and if only other women get it, that’s fine. PLUS, it feels awesome when other women compliment you and covet what you’re wearing.
- To be ‘ourselves, we wear them to please our own creativity. This is one of my favourite ways to get dressed. I’ll wake up and think – who am I today? Am I a make up artist in all black today? Am I dressed in my ‘rich girl’ costume wearing expensive things? Or am I in a bunch of eclectic pieces thrown together, which in my mind looks fabulous and in your mind may look ridiculous? Just depends on my mood that day.
- To be comfy, ugh homely, ugh…we wear them out of laziness and comfort. Yes, a lot of our clothes are horribly uncomfortable, and yes, sometimes you just want to step outside and feel totally relaxed, but for the love of god STOP WEARING SWEATS AND/OR PJ’S IN PUBLIC. STOP DOING THIS IMMEDIATELY. I’m sorry I yelled, but c’mon, you can wear something comfortable that doesn’t make you look like peopleofwalmart.com. Over-sized god-awful t-shirts are OK (barely OK) if; you’re painting, or going for a jog, or working out, but that’s about it. If you’re out running errands in a trashy t-shirt and hideous sweats, you may as well have stamped a sign on your forehead that states ‘I’ve given up’.
- A combination of all, or, just some of the above. I like this option. Who doesn’t want to feel pretty and be noticed by men and women alike. A great example of this would be a black jersey short dress, with a long necklace and a kick ass statement ring. Men like your legs, women like your jewelery, you like that you’ve mixed and matched and you’re comfy as hell!
So, these are the reasons I think women get dressed. What do you think? Am I way off?