Growing up in Canada, and in particular in a boarder city, I’ve been surrounded by American media my entire life. I have witnessed some of the great parts of America, met many friendly Americans, and appreciate the great beauty that the country possesses. Being an outsider however, I have been able to observe and conclude 7 major things that are unfortunately, terribly wrong with that magnificent country. Remember, I have no political importance and that these are just observations.
Well I’ll say it, the first thing that is wrong with America is the Republican Party. When their best front runner is a trust fund 1% Jacka$$ (Mitt Romney) that is anti-gay marriage and thinks $700K is middle income there is little to be said except that:
- They use underhanded politics to try to defile the current president. Saying he’s ‘not a Christian’ to try to earn votes. #1 who cares whether he is or isn’t a Christian. What does religion have to do with money management and political skills? Can he best represent the people, does he make good decisions? Yes and Yes! Has he been able to slowly bring the country out of an astronomical debt crisis created by the Republican-twice-elected former President Bush? Yes, slowly but surely. It takes a while to dig yourself out of a whole the size of the Grand Canyon.
The second is religious fanaticism.
- FYI – the movie Saved was a satire on religious fanaticism. Christian groups across the US of A have been pushing for their faith based right to bully gays. Because Jesus hated gays…didn’t you know? That was also satirical in case you missed it.
The third is that human rights are up for debate.
- Woman are losing their rights to birth control, abortion and all things that should be not up for discussion. If I don’t want to get pregnant, then I don’t want to get pregnant. That’s all. It’s my body, and it belongs to ME! This topic shouldn’t be up for a council to decide as religion and government should have nothing to do with this decision. Soon women will have to go back to the 50′s/60′s style of abortion which involved a shady ‘Dr’ and some coat hangers. Really people…this is absurd.
- Gays can’t get married, gays are bullied and what happens in closed doors between consenting adults is also up for debate. In my opinion, if two (or more) willing adults want to get up to sexual shenanigans, get married or (gasp) hold hands in public with out being mocked or taunted, I’m all for it! Everyone deserves to be loved!
The fourth is Bush 1 and Bush 2…err Senior and Junior
- REALLY America – 12 years of Bush? TWELVE? Didn’t we get enough Bush when Daddy was in office? Did we really have to go through it a second and third time, only to be left in the worst recession (aka the Bush Recession) in modern times? (When I say modern, I mean since the invention of computers).
The fifth is not wanting global health care and an odd education system.
- Really? Really? Really? What’s that all about? Everyone in the world should have a right to free health care and education. It’s just logical. You have a healthy, educated society and you have a healthy, educated country.
- Also, FYI – Canada is geographically bigger than the US, Canadians don’t all live in igloos and most of us don’t have a dog sled team. Just sayin’ southern Ontario, is south of Michigan.
The sixth is accepted racism.
- News flash, being a muslim doesn’t make you a terrorist, being an Indian from India, does not make you a native nor a terrorist. Being from Spanish descent does not make you Mexican and being Mexican does not make you lazy. Idiots.
- Calling ‘Natives’ or ‘First Nations’, ‘Indians’ is out right ignorant (meaning ‘lack of knowledge’)
- Oh, and there is nothing wrong with being Jewish. To me it seems like a lovely religion. They will not be spited when they get to heaven. If there is a heaven and they were a good person, I’m sure God will open his doors…for anyone.
And the seventh thing: They are still in Afganistan.
- Give it up already. Haven’t enough innocent young men died for a greed based war? No? Not enough, ok, keep it going for a few more years.
America was supposed to be the land of the free. It was supposed to be a dream. Instead, it’s becoming a country divided by the coastal liberal states and the middle religious extremism. A place where unless you are a rich, white, Christian male, you are not free. You are free to work for scraps that the rich, white, Christian males throw at you.
You know what, I lied, there are eight things wrong with America. The eighth thing wrong in America is…wait for it…wait for it…