Like many pre-teens/teens, I was bullied for my looks. I’m not going to go in to details right now, but needless to say for a long time, I was terribly insecure and never thought I was pretty enough or good enough. I would let people walk all over me especially when it came to men. Only recently did I grow a spine.
It wasn’t until recent years, when I started truly to believe that I was an attractive girl. That all of the awful, nasty things that those mean boys and girls said, were spoken out because of their own childish insecurities. That said, in some rare cases they were just plain mean. What’s that all about? BUT, who really cares about mean people anyway?
Mean people suck.
Anyway, I discovered that the secret to feeling pretty is to feel good in your own skin. You are built the way you’re built and there’s not much you can do to change that so just be happy with what you got! I also discovered one key thing that helps me in my day to day, I discovered…
The art of feeling pretty
- Remind yourself that all women are beautiful. It’s a fact. We make babies and milk, we come in all sorts of beautiful shapes and sizes, we’re instinctive, intuitive and sensual. We’re able to manage a career and a family, or just a career or just a family. We’re awesome. PLEASE NOTE: If you are a mega b-word this rule does not apply to you. You are the witch from the Wizard of Oz and someone should pour a bucket of water on you and you should melt away.
- Sleep in one of three things: Silky soft feeling pj’s, night gowns or nothing.
- Moisturize. When your skin is soft others want to touch you. You want to touch you. Do it before work and you’ll smell the scent of the lotion and you’ll be reminded of how soft your pretty skin is. AND it feels awesome when you’re wearing that slip of yours – see #’s 4&5.
- Wear a slip while getting ready. You can’t help but feel pretty while you’re blow drying you’re hair if you have a slip on.
- Wear a slip when you can under your dresses. There are two reasons for this #1 it hides lines, #2 you know what you look like under your dress (which is awesome) and the thought of it can’t help but put a lil’pep in your step. FYI – La Senza does not sell slips, which is bull crap.
- PUT MAKE-UP ON. I’m not talking about caking it on, but c’mon…it was invented for a reason. I always thought my mom was bonkers for putting make up on everyday. Then I started to appreciate the way I looked and I can’t image not. I mean, just some mascara will do sometimes…just make sure you like how you look when you walk out the door.
- Try not to wear sweat pants in public. Are jeans really that horrible? I mean goodness…the odd time I’ll wear sweats to Blockbusters or late night grocery runs, but it’s not often, and I’m well aware that I look like a mess.
- We all have assets. Feature yours. I have a small waist and muscular calves so if I want to feel pretty; I wear a belted dress with awesome tights. It draws attention away from all the places I don’t want anyone to notice
- Flirt. It’s harmless and it’s fun.
- Stand straight. You can command a room with good posture. Slouching makes everyone look sloppy.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not walking around thinking I’m the cat’s meow. But having a little confidence can do a wonder on your happiness level. People like you more, you like you more…really it’s a win win. Just don’t go around you’re thinking you’re better than everyone (because you’re not…no one is) and you should good to go!