Fact: I’m not old. 29 is not old. Not. Even. Close. My 93 year old granddad (LOVE him!!!)…he’s old. He’s the funniest man alive, but old.
Fact: I recently was young. I’m not any more, but in a not-so-distant past I was.
When you’re young there are so many wonderful things that you get to enjoy that you may not fully appreciate because you don’t realize that they will soon cease to happen, you’ll wake up realizing you somehow became grown up. You’ll have bills, a full time job, an apartment and…yep, I’m going to say it ‘responsibilities’. What’s that all about? One day your income is totally disposable, your time is totally free, and the next your weekends are booked a minimum of 4 weeks in advance (I’m probably a little ridiculous with the planning. I can’t help it. It’s in my nature).
I decided that I wanted to make a list of all the things I could think of that were totally awesome when we were younger:
- I’m going to lead with Recess. Yes, this goes back REALLY young, but c’mon, imagine if during the work day a bell went off and you were sent outside with all of your colleagues for 15 mins. That (in the summer) would be awesome. A mandatory breath of fresh air. Wow.
- Spare. This was a free period to ‘study’. Swimming and suntanning would be more accurate.
- Young skin. It actually changes. I always thought they were trying to trick me into buying creams I didn’t need.
- Plain ol’Innocence.
- Making out in a car. It was always so much fun. But when you no longer live with your parents, there’s no real need to anymore. Because of this you don’t even consider it, which in itself is too bad.
- Keg parties. It’s sad, but I don’t remember the last time I went to a keg party. I use to have my own funnel (classy, I know – in my defense a male friend left it at my house and moved away. I inherited it!).
- Sneaking out. Don’t worry mom, I would tell jokes while my friends would flirt with boys. I was too clueless when I was young to pick up on anything.
- Living in a house of 6 girls. At this point in my life that sounds exhausting, but at the time it was absolutely wonderful. Always someone to play with, drink with, laugh with and cry with.
Goodness, this list could go on and on. It’s making me feel a little old – there’s only two things I can do from this list to remedy this: Think I’ll start with a keg party, and then finish it with a make out in a car. Just kidding. Kind of.