Nearly three years ago, I was in desperate need for a new roommate. I had sent out a message to many of my lady friends to see if they or anyone they knew was on the hunt for a roommate. I had interviewed one girl and she seemed alright, but something did not feel right. Then Sarah, an old friend from summer camp, sent me a message saying that one of her best friends was also looking for a roommate and gave her the best review a friend could give.
Crystal and I were perfect roommates. We had never met until the day she came in to see the place, but both of us knew that we’d be a good fit.
Here’s a list a few of the reasons we were perfect for each other:
- We both liked to sing Disney songs at the top of our lungs
- We both separately had Stevie Wonder songs that we sang to our cats
- We video taped ourselves singing Lisa Loeb’s Stay
- We both love dresses
- We both have amazing friends
Both of us were able to seamlessly enter each others group of friends. Chris Skinner in particular, was one of Crystal’s friends that I bonded with immediately.
He and I would dance with each other all night when we’d hang out, we’d all put on Enchanted and sing along to all the songs and we’d watch the Dream Girls “I’m telling you” song on repeat. Really, Skinner was one of the most special human beings that I have ever met and I wasn’t even one of his best friends.
Tragically, Skinner was killed nearly a year ago. In truth, the world became darker the day he was taken away, because he was such a bright star. For myself, I had envisioned of a life long friendship of singing and dancing with him and it was ripped away.
Because Skinner was so special, his best friends decided that when they were faced with challenges, whether they were challenges of the heart or whatever, they would embrace their inner Skinner and follow the life principles of:
WWSkinnerD – What Would Skinner Do – What’s that all about?
- Grab life by the balls
- If you like someone, tell them
- Sing whenever you can
- Try to have fun in every situation
- If you want something or SOMEONE, go for it
- Make tedious tasks into games
- BE ENCHANTING
- If you like it, just put it on the credit card
- If you don’t like your job, want to go shopping, are sick of your apartment: quit now, go now, move now
- You should proooobably open another bottle of wine
- Eat it now, SPIN it off later…
- Don’t hire a contractor, put the laminate and floorboards in yourself.
- Through and through, be yourself and own it
Skinner owned who he was. His heart was big, he was kind, he was funny, he was fun…he was wonderful. I think of him nearly every day, and I can’t imagine how hard it would be if I had been lucky enough to have been given the chance to be one of his best friends.
That said, I feel that we were all blessed for having him enter our lives. We are all blessed that we can use WWSkinnerD in our daily lives, and we are all blessed that we were lucky enough to have known him, even if it wasn’t long enough.
There are two purposes of this post:
- If anyone has any information they can contact the number on the Chris Skinner poster
- To spread to the world the life philosophy of WWSkinnerD
Embracing WWSkinnerD has enriched my life. I now paint, sing more, dance more and tell people how I feel about them more often. I hope that you all benefit from this philosophy as much as I have.